If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (503) 648-8513

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Electrical Safety

9/8/2023 (Permalink)

Electrical Outlet Faulty Electricity is a common cause of many fires

Our local team in Forest Grove and Hillsboro is trained and certified by the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification to restore fire, soot, and smoke damage. Electrical fires are one of the top causes of fire damage in the United States.

Here are some electrical safety tips from the National Fire Protection Association:

  • Have all electrical work done by a qualified electrician
  • Only use one heat-producing appliance plugged into a receptacle outlet at a time
  • Major appliances should be plugged directly into a wall receptacle outlet. Extension cords and plug strips should not be used.
  • Arc-fault circuit interrupters (AFCIs) shut off electricity when a dangerous condition occurs. Consider having them installed in your home.
  • Use ground-fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) to reduce the risk of shock. GFCIs shut off an electrical circuit when it becomes a shock hazard. They should be installed inside the home in bathrooms, kitchens, garages, and basements. All outdoor receptacles should be GFCI protected.
  • Test AFCIs and GFCIs once a month according to the manufacturer’s recommendations.
  • Check electrical cords to make sure they are not running across doorways or under carpets. Extension cords are intended for temporary use. Have a qualified electrician add more receptacle outlets, so you don’t have to use extension cords.

Call Us Today!

When your home or business experiences fire damage from a faulty electric cord or for another reason, you can rely on our local team to restore the damage “Like it never even happened.”  Call us today at 541-745-2097.

Other News

View Recent Posts